Motorbike trip 2016. I am just back from a wonderful motorbike trip making a loop in Northern Thailand. Starting and ending in Nan via Phu Chi Fa, Chiang Rai, Fang, Tha Ton, Chiang Mai, Lampang and Phrae. Making some small side-trips along the way it was about 950 km total. And it did not all go according plan as the fluid of my rear brake did overheat and I had suddenly no rear brake anymore. It is a stunning route to ride, passing mountains, valleys, rivers and small villages. Highly recommended route in North Thailand. And the cool season is the best time to do. Following is a more detailed route description and some photos I took along the way. If you are interested to make motorbike trips in Northeast or North Thailand and need some information or help, please contact me by email at The Little Elephant Traveling in Thailand.
Day 1 From Nan to Chiang Rai via Phu Chi Fa
The first day was a total of 311 km. First via route 101 from Nan in direction of Tha Wang Pha. About 15 km before TWP I took a left to a local road to bypass road construction at route 101. This local road ends up at route 1148 to Chiang Rai. Passing Song Kwae where I had breakfast and Phu Lankha from where you have stunning view over the mountains and valleys. I kept on following route 1148 until a bit after Chiang Kham, where I took a right to route 1093 to Phu Chi Fa. First passing Phu Sang Waterfall and later hitting the mountains bordering Laos. At Phu Chi Fa I had early lunch and had done 219 km.From here I did go to Chiang Rai first via the 1093 that then hits the 1155 for a small part. Then taking route 4018 with the "Big Dipper". Route 4018 ends at the 1020 for about 15km. Then take a right to route 1152, route 1326 and route 1173 in direction of Chiang Rai. Adding another 93 km to the first day.
The first day did not go as planned. After climbing the Big Dipper you have to go down again. Also steep down. And a long way down. That did all go perfect. But at the next intersection I wanted to brake and realised that my rear brake was not working at all anymore. I did ride slow for about 10km and the brake did cool down. So the rear brake did work again, but not they way it should be breaking. So the last 50 km to Chiang Rai was a bit slow and uncomfortable. I did find the Kawasaki dealer in Chiang Rai. But they were very busy .... but they made time for replacing the brake pads and brake fluid. That did feel much better. As it was late I decided to stay in Chiang Rai city.
![]() |
| Map of route from Nan to Phu Chi FGa |









