What did I eat today? Jok

Eating Jok for breakfast in Thailand

Although I have already a serie about Thai Food in general and although Thai food is Typically Thai I hereby introduce a new serie What did I eat today? Because many people ask me what I am eating after living in Thailand for more as 15 years. Well first of all I still not eat and never will eat spicy food. My taste buds are just not made for it. And I want my food to be dead but not too long dead. So that limits my Thai food. For breakfast I most times still eat western style, musli with yoghurt or bread. But for lunch or dinner I eat almost always Thai food. Following my What Did I Eat Today you might have some inspiration about what to eat in Thailand. Or just show people in a restaurant my photos.

So what did I eat? 

A package of Jok is my emergency food at home or for when I have some digestion problems. In the package is a kind of powder that you put in a dish and pour cooked water over it. Then you mix it good and wait for 5 min. Then mix it again and your food is ready. Normally I would not eat Jok, mind you on the photo you see egg and meat-balls in the Jok but that of course is not in the package. You would have to add that yourself, what I do not do when I eat it. For me it is food that I can eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This version from a package is of course not very healthy. That all said of course you can also eat Jok in een restaurant and freshly made. And that is much better as this from a pack.

Costs : 8 Thai baht (just the package and eat it at home)

What is Jok?

Jok is sometimes also written as Joke or Chok and is a Thai style breakfast. Jok looks actually a bit like Khao Tom (Rice soup) but it is slightly different. Jok is the Thai version of rice porridge congee, most time served for breakfast. The main ingredient is slow & long cooked rice, so it is almost not recognisable as rice. It is served with minced pork or beef, spring unions, egg, garlic and sometimes ginger. It is a typically street-stall food, although there are also restaurants specialising in Jok. And some of that restaurants are famous.


This travelogue follows my traveling in Thailand (and beyond) with in between information that might help you when traveling in Thailand. If you are interested to visit Thailand and need some information or help then feel free to contact me by email at The Little Elephant Traveling in Thailand.

Comments