Motorbike Riding in Thailand from Pua to Chiang Khong

Motorbike Riding Thailand

I was riding my Kawasaki Z250 and made a 3 days motorbike trip, this is about the first day from Pua to Chiang Khong along the mighty Mekong River bordering Laos. From Pua with route 101 to Tha Wang Pha, a short piece of boring 2 lane so called highway. Then the famous route 1148 to Chiang Kham and passing Phu Lankha from where you have a stunning view over the valley of Phu Lankha. Normally I would make a stop here but everything was closed. So continue route 1148 to Chiang Kham where I had a bite & drink at the PTT gasoline station. Then after Chiang Kham route 1021 to the begin of route 1155. This part of route 1021 is at the moment under construction and that was 30 km of very unpleasant riding! And it does not look like this is going to be done any time soon! If you are interested to make motorbike trips in Northeast or North Thailand and need some information or help, please contact me by email at The Little Elephant Traveling in Thailand. If you are looking for what routes the ride have a look at Recommended Routes to Ride or Drive.

But then route 1155 all the way thru the mountains is a stunning route, some parts riding on the ridge of the mountain. I love it! I was thinking of the song "Walking on sunshine" but changed the lyrics to "Riding on sunshine".

Route 1155 goes all the way to the Mekong River and here I made a first meeting with my beloved Mekong River at Ban Chaem Pong in Wiang Kaen district. This village is along route 1155 and the first village you will be passing that is along the Mekong River. This village used to be a trading village between Thailand and Laos. There even used to be a border crossing as you see an old immigration office along the banks of the Mekong River. There are still many boats in the village. See photo on top of this posting.

And a bit further along the road I had a drink and lunch at Panorama Coffee. A great coffee shop & restaurant right between route 1155 and the Mekong River, with stunning view over the Mekong River and Laos. Then I continued route 1155 for another stunning 10 km along the Mekong River before taking a shortcut to route 1021 and to Chiang Khong. 

I did stay at a hotel right in town and right along the Mekong River. I have been here many times. But this time it was a bit weird and the last time I did stay there. It had been a few years ago that I was in Chiang Khong and wow! What a fantastic new promenade along the Mekong. And not just a short piece but all the way along Chiang Khong. And with separate parts for people walking, bicycling and cars. I really love it! A good example for other places in Thailand!

Chiang Khong was very quiet, actually I think my hotel had only 2 rooms used. Also on the street and the promenade it was quiet. In the evening I found myself a nice restaurant along the Mekong River but I think it was the slowest restaurant of Chiang Khong. Or maybe the staff did copy this from Laos?

Anyway it was great to be back in Chiang Khong again and I would recommend anyone to go there. For more information about Chiang Khong click on the label Chiang Khong under this posting. Following are a few more photos I took this first day. 


Motorbike Riding Thailand
Boats in the Mekong River at Ban Chaem Pong in North Thailand

Motorbike Riding Thailand
The "new" boulevard in Chiang Khong, North Thailand

Motorbike Riding Thailand
Art in Chiang Khong, North Thailand

Motorbike Riding Thailand
Mekong River in Chiang Khong, North Thailand

Motorbike Riding Thailand
View from the slowest restaurant of Chiang Khong, North Thailand

Motorbike Riding Thailand
Route from Pua to Chiang Khong (240 km)

Comments