Although Sukhumvit road in Bangkok has changed into a road full of upscale hotels, expensive restaurants, bars and shopping malls, the typically Thai (or actually asian) way of life in the morning still continues. In the early morning people go to work at offices and the upscale hotels and shopping malls, and they want to eat simple & cheap Thai food. So in the morning there are many small food stalls selling ready to eat food. This photos were made near Phrom Phom BTS station, where people arrive to go to their work. And before they will buy some food to eat at their work. And to my surprise there are even 2 simple Thai restaurants still serving normal Thai food for normal prices.
Not being a Bangkok resident anymore for many years I was shocked about prices for food. I passed a kind of so called open-air sports bar where they were advertising hamburgers. As I was in the mood for an unhealthy fast-food I thought "Yes" and walked in. Looked at the menu and was shocked that they were charging 365 baht for a hamburger. Really 365 baht for an ordinary hamburger eating in a open-air sports bar right along the road? Needless to say I walked out again.
This travelogue follows my traveling in Thailand (and beyond) with in between information that might help you when traveling in Thailand. If you are interested to visit Thailand and need some information or help then feel free to contact me by email at The Little Elephant Traveling in Thailand.
![]() |
| Simple Thai restaurant at Soi 39/1 Sukhumvit |
![]() |
| Food stall at Phrom Phom BTS station |



Comments